Wrestling News: Covid-19 continues to wreak havoc on Indian wrestling. Cases from the men’s national camp continue getting reported, the latest being Rahul Aware. The 2019 world championship bronze medallist who joined the camp on Friday was tested positive on Sunday. He said that he was asymptomatic when he joined the camp and even had a training session. “I had no symptoms when I arrived. I even trained, but then at night I got fever and felt very tired”.
Aware has been admitted to Bhagwan Das hospital, SAI empanelled medical centre, as a precautionary measure and for further monitoring. The Maharashtra wrestler said he feels better now and will be in quarantine for a while. “I have a little cold and that’s all. I am fine now. They took my sample this morning (Monday). I am just waiting for the 2nd report to come back”.
Meanwhile, Deepak Punia, Krishan Saroha and Navin who were tested positive last week have been discharged from the hospital. All three are part of the national camp at the SAI Centre.
“Wrestler Deepak Punia tested Covid positive during the test given by SAI upon arrival at the National Camp in Sonepat, and was in the hospital. Now he’s been advised home quarantine by doctors as he’s stable & asymptomatic. His homestay is approved by District Covid Nodal Officer,” the Sports Authority of India tweeted.
Wrestler urge to postpone camp
Some grapplers – in quarantine in Sonepat — have expressed concern and said that to start the camp soon could “backfire”. Speaking to IANS, a senior wrestler, on the condition of anonymity, said that the federation must speak to the SAI and postpone the camp immediately“They put us at risk. Why is everybody going so mad about starting the camp so early? What is the hurry? Which tournament we are playing this year? This (national camp) is going to backfire. Better postpone it immediately,” said the wrestler.
Another wrestler said that the athletes present in Sonepat are giving excuses to leave the camp. “Wrestlers have started giving personal reasons to leave the camp. Some said their mother is not well and some have given other reasons. Nobody wants to take any chance with life,” he said.
WFI, SAI to go-ahead with the camp
SAI has said that it will continue with the camp with those who have returned negative. “The camp will be on with those who are fine. Those who have been tested positive have already been shifted to a hospital,” SAI official said.
WFI Assistant Secretary Vinod Tomar said that the training will only resume after the 14-day quarantine is over. “They (the three) will be tested again after two days and if they return negative test, they will be brought back. There is no threat to the national camp. The wrestlers will begin training only after they complete their quarantine period of 14 days,” Tomar said.