In everything that we do, our number one priority is always the safety of our athletes and their families, all our members, our national staff and the entire U.S. wrestling community.
USA Wrestling is a big family, with more than 255,000 members and 4,500 clubs nationwide striving together to strengthen the sport. During these unprecedented times, we are coming together in so many ways. We believe the best strategy to get through this situation is to listen to our members and to communicate regularly with our wrestling family.
With that in mind, we would like to let our members know what USA Wrestling has been doing to serve them and to increase the value of their membership:
• USA Wrestling has formed an amazing COVID-19 Advisory Committee of experts who are helping us better understand the situation and make informed decisions. These leaders are: Dr. Tom Price, a physician who is a past U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services and past member of Congress; Dr. Bernard Feldman, UWW Medical Commission member and Hall of Fame wrestling physician; and John Bardis, past U.S. Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services, and a longtime USA Wrestling leader who has had a successful career in the medical industry.
• With unanimous support of the USA Wrestling COVID-19 Advisory Committee, USA Wrestling has suspended all sanctioned events and national events through May 10. This is based upon recommendations from local health authorities and governmental agencies. It is being monitored on a daily basis, and changes are possible based upon the most current advice and information available.
• USA Wrestling is using all of its communication platforms to inform, educate and engage our members. A COVID-19 Special Section on our website can be found at https://www.teamusa.org/
• Launched TheMat.tv, a portal with thousands of free wrestling videos, including instruction videos, competition video and interview videos. USA Wrestling is also producing daily “Moments off the Mat” video interviews, which are streamed on TheMat.tv each weekday at 3:00 p.m.
• As a benefit to all current members, USA Wrestling has made the online Copper and Bronze Certification courses available for free.
• USA Wrestling is holding regular video conference calls with our state leaders, National Teams and others, to provide information and support, as well as allow for feedback and input.
• Helped support and promote the efforts of our state associations, many which are providing online instruction and other services for the members in their state and around the nation.
Your membership in USA Wrestling is what makes this all possible, and for that we are incredibly grateful. We encourage you to contact USA Wrestling with any ideas on other programs we can develop to serve your needs. Feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call our switchboard at 719-598-8181 at any time.
USA Wrestling and the wrestling community is accustomed to overcoming challenges. We are confident that the lessons instilled by the sport of wrestling will allow us to work together to weather the current storm. We are planning for the time when we can all be back on the mat, and participating in our great sport again. As we go through this together, check in regularly with USA Wrestling through its media platforms, spend time with your family and be safe.